Center High School Student Publications
Homemade Cane's chicken strip basket

Homemade Cane's chicken strip basket

Dalton Snider

Dalton Snider

Homemade Cane's chicken strip basket

Cane’s Chicken from Home

Out of all the popular and iconic fast foods foods in our area today, the most iconic that comes to mind is, of course, Raising Cane’s chicken, and ,more importantly, the delectable sauce. But how many of us have time to drive 30 miles to the nearest location? Why drive so far wasting gas, time, and money that you work so hard for?

I have found a resolution to this growing problem.

Instead of spending that much time to go get food that will be cold by the time you get home, why not just make it yourself and eat it while wearing pajama pants sitting on your own couch? It’s really not that hard, and you can even tailor the spices to your liking. So, after some research and testing I found a recipe that is a healthier alternative and is extremely close if not spot on to the original.

In these easy to follow recipes you can have the luxury of fast food at home without the wait or excess grease.

Chicken Tenders

INGREDIENTS
1-2 lbs Chicken Breast
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 Egg
2 Cups Buttermilk
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder

Directions

Cut your thick juicy chicken breasts into strips (3 per breast plus the tenderloin)
Whisk together 2 Eggs, 2 Cups Buttermilk & 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder and pour mixture along with chicken into a sealable container
Refrigerate for 2-4 hours
In a paper bag or the Batter Pro, combine 2 Cups Flour, 1 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs, 2 tsp Salt and 2 tsp Baking Powder
Toss chicken into this mixture and shake
Toss chicken back into the wet mixture it was marinating in
Toss chicken back into the dry mixture and shake one last time, they should have a beautiful double coat
Deep fry for 3-4 minutes at 350°F or until fully cooked on the inside

The Batter Pro

The batter pro is a great culinary tool for those who enjoy gadgets. It is a tool used to better things to be fried or baked. You simply place the batter in the bottom of the container, place the divider, then the item to be battered in, close the lid, and shake. The batter can be found at major retailers such as Amazon or Walmart.

Canes Sauce

Ingredients

-1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
-1⁄4 cup ketchup
-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
-1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste

Serving Size: 3 tbsp

Directions
Combine all ingredients, mix well. Add additional pepper if desired.
You can serve immediately, but it will taste better if the flavors are given the chance to “meld” in the fridge for a few hours (or days) before serving.

Things to consider:

So long as the mayonnaise and ketchup have not expired the sauce will be fine.

The Lariat • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in