Precautionary Flu Safety on the Rise thanks to Corona Virus

Wikipedia

Kain Rushing, Reporter

While the Coronavirus is prevalent in the news the real, nationwide epidemic that plagues everyone each year is the flu, also known as influenza, especially at schools, but there are many ways to prevent and prepare yourself for this infectious disease.

“The flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza,” School Nurse Lindsey Montario said. “It’s a virus that infects the nose, throat, and sometimes [the] lungs.”

The flu is one of the most common viruses all over the world, and it usually infects people around wintertime. 

“Flu in the United States occurs in the fall and winter, but the influenza virus can circulate all year round,” Montario said. 

The flu is a virus that is a highly transmissible disease, especially when people are not sanitary and cleanly, which is why it’s important to take proper precautions to prevent its spread. 

“Students can, first and foremost, practice good hand washing techniques,” Montario said. “They can get the flu shot when it becomes available. They can also stay at home when they [begin to suffer] flu-like symptoms.” 

In recent times, such as last year, the flu was especially worse than normal, which is why it is even more important for students and staff to take precautions to prevent the spread of the flu. 

“The most recent information that I have is the 2017-2018 flu season,” Montario said. “There were an estimated 48.8 million people [that] were sick with influenza, 22.7 million people went to a healthcare provider, 959,000 were hospitalized, and 79,800 deaths were reported by influenza: the highest since the 2009 H1N1 [swine flu] outbreak.” 

Despite the flu being infectious and similar to the cold, there are ways for you to tell if you or anyone else has the flu. 

“Common symptoms of the flu include anything with a fever over 100.4°F, aching muscles, chills, sweats, headache, a dry persistent cough, fatigue, nasal congestion, and a sore throat,” Montario said.

There is not a cure for the flu since it’s a virus, but there are ways to manage your symptoms. 

“If you catch it fast enough, there’s a medicine called Tamiflu that can decrease the length, severity, and duration of symptoms,” Montario said. 

The flu is a virus that spreads easily and should be taken seriously, as it was once a worldwide epidemic that killed 50 million people only 101 years ago. 

“Be sure to get vaccinated this year even if you think it’s stupid,” Montario said. “It can help save your life or even someone else’s.”