Lopez Ends Season with MVP Title

Mark Perkins

No. 18 Alexis Lopez kicks a field goal.

Alexia Pineda, Reporter

Alexia Pineda
Alexis Lopez

He ran through the tunnel during the first game of the season, heart pounding not knowing that the blood, sweat and tears would all be worth it for the close bonds that would be made, and the title he had recently been given: varsity kicker for the Center Roughriders.

Number 18, senior Alexis Lopez started playing on the varsity football team his sophomore year and was recently named All-District Special Teams MVP. 

“When coach Bowman was here, he asked me if I wanted to join the team,” Lopez said. “He put a condition on it saying that if the other kicker didn’t wanna play his senior year, then I would be the starting kicker. He ended up not kicking, so I was going to be the next one up, and that’s when it all began.” 

Lopez did not play his freshman year because of his job that summer, although when the opportunity struck he decided to take a chance and play football again. 

“Going into my sophomore year, I was kinda nervous,” Lopez said. “It was gonna be the first time coming back to the field. I didn’t think I was gonna be on varsity, but it means a lot to be out there.”

Being on the field Friday night is always a special feeling for Lopez, knowing that he is representing the community and Center High school. 

“It’s unbelievable.” Lopez said,“the support we’ve been getting from the school is awesome, being under the lights with the band playing, fans yelling, and cheerleaders cheering is even better. Once, most of us run through that tunnel we are zoned in, focused and ready for the kick-off.” 

Lopez has had an eventful year here at Center high school, with his many successes as a football and soccer player. 

“I was ranked number 6 in the nation for the 2020 class as a sophomore.” Lopez said, “As junior I was named ‘special teams player of the year’ for our district. My football records are 45-yard long field goal in a game, and I have a 45 yard punt average for Field goals” 

Since this is Lopez last year, playing for the Roughriders, he hopes to play college football after he graduates.

Mark Perkins
Alexis Lopez kicks a field goal.

“Being a senior means a lot. ” Lopez said. “ Not only is this my year to do school activities, this is also my last year to do what I love most, which are football and soccer, so I’ve got to make the best of it, and let more offers come in. I currently have an offer to TJC, and I plan to get more so I’m definitely ready to graduate and go on to college.” 

After Lopez graduates, he wishes to go to Sam Houston State University, to help further his education. 

“That’s where I really want to go” Lopez says, “and major in criminal justice and eventually go into forensic science.”

Ever since joining the team, Lopez has had the opportunity to build strong friendships with the other guys on the team.

“We kinda build a bond with each other, ” Lopez said. “We all love one another, and we’ll do a lot for each other.  It means a lot, not only to be part of such a great team and to go out and provide what I can for the team, but also get to work together and build great bonds that many can’t get to build.” 

“Thank you to Mrs. Andrews, Mrs. Morse, Ms. Ross, Coach Adair, Mrs. Galindo, and coach Ponder for always motivating me and being very supportive of my journey and pushing me to be the best student-athlete that I could possibly be.”