Spring Band Concert to be held Monday

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Band Concert to be held Monday

Kristen Orsak, Opinion Editor

The annual CHS Spring Band Concert will be held on May 20th in the High School Cafetorium beginning at 6:30.

“The spring concert is basically an awards ceremony, a concert, and a senior recognition all in one,” Symphonic Band Director Chris Smith said. “The music that we play at this concert is a mix of contest music and some fun movie music.”

The sixth grade band and the two high school bands will play at 6:30 on May 20th. On May 21st, the seventh and eighth grade bands will begin at 6:30.

“Spring concerts are a really good way to present the success of the band to the community,” Concert Band Director Patrick Conn said. “This is always a good event because it only lasts about an hour. My band will be playing two songs that we worked on for contest and two songs that we have only been working on for about three weeks.”

There is no admission fee for the concert. There will be three songs played by the beginner band, four songs played by the concert band, and four songs played by the symphonic band.

“We are playing a bunch of marvel songs,” first chair trumpet Lena Amburn said. “Everyone who knows me knows that I am a huge marvel fan. The concert should be a lot of fun and I am looking forward to it.”

This concert is the big finale for most band students. After the concert, the band begins the chaos of football season.

“This concert is something that many members of the community attend,” Smith said. “We see a lot of parents, but we also see a lot of returning students and members of the community who simply enjoy listening to the band.”

The music being played at this concert is typically songs that are a lot more fun for the students to play. Typically, the band only has about three weeks to prepare the new music.

“Concert is always a very good break from the stress of contest,” Conn said. “I love concerts because they are always much more relaxing. This just makes it a lot more fun for us as directors and the students. It definitely shows in their work.”