One Act Play to Attend District Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kristen Orsak, Opinion Editor

The One Act Play will travel to Carthage High School on Friday, March 8th for the District One Act Play competition.

“I am always excited about district competition,” One Act Play Director Chris Watlington said. “But One Act is the same as any competition because there is a certain level of nerves that comes along with it.”

The One Act Play will perform at the Carthage Performing Arts Center around 2:00 in the afternoon. They will be the last show of the day, and following their performance, there will be a brief intermission before an award ceremony.

“This is my third year to be a part of One Act,” junior crew member Ellie Walker said. “I love theater and everything that comes with it. Out of all three years of being a part of One Act, the nerve level of competition week is always really high.”

This year they will be performing a comedy called A Comedy of Errors written by William Shakespeare and adapted by Cecil Pickett.

“We are typically an audience favorite at the competition,” Watlington said. “We aren’t typically a judge favorite though, which in my opinion, is ok. I have always believed that theater should be for the people. In One Act Play, there are so many rules that dictate every little thing that it almost takes the fun out of the theater.”

For any who can not make it to the performance, there will be a home show on Tuesday, March 19. The awards given at competition will be recognized here as well. The cost will range from 1 to 2 dollars.

“We always love when people come out and support us,” Walker said. “Sometimes I feel like theater is a dying passion until I see people come and support us at things like this. It means more than anyone could know to see a familiar face in the crowd.”