One Act Play Attends Panola Workshop

Back to Article
Back to Article

One Act Play Attends Panola Workshop

Kristen Orsak, Opinion Editor

The One Act Play cast and crew attended the annual Panola workshop on Saturday, February 9th.

¨Workshops are an essential part of a good play for One Act Competition,” Theater Director Chris Watlington said. ¨When we go to the Panola workshops, we are given critiques by Perry Crafton. He pretty much sets up the rest of our practices because he gives us a judge’s opinion on our creative ideas.¨

Perry Crafton is the Associate Professor of Drama at Austin Community College. He has been recognized at local, state, and even national levels for his expertise.

¨Perry Crafton is the closest thing you get to theater legends in East Texas,¨ senior cast member Keaton Watlington said. ¨I think the workshops are the closest we get to a pressured performance before district.¨

The majority of One Act Play workshops are set up in the same manner. You have an hour to unload, set up, and get in a few minutes of practice before your 40-minute performance. You then have an hour of critique once your show is finished. This is vital for all programs.

¨We had about two weeks of practice before the workshop,¨ Chris said. ¨That really isn’t ideal, but we did fairly well considering we were still on-book.¨

On-book means that the actors and actresses continue to use their script while on stage. This typically means that it is hard to fit in the physical parts of a play.

¨I actually lost my script during the show,¨ junior cast member Mark Perkins said. ¨I ended up performing with just some half-memorized lines and a lot of faking it. This was definitely not our best performance, but it was fairly good considering how little we had practiced.¨

In any event, practice is vital to success. You can run drills or plays, but with theater, it takes so much more.

¨Theater is an art for sure,” Keaton said. ¨With most sports, you can run drills and be fairly prepared because games will never be the same. In theater, it is about precision. You practice until you get it to be exactly the same every time you perform it even when the location is different. That is why workshops become so important.¨