The Only Vape You Should Be Using Is VapoRub

Back to Article
Back to Article

Erica Crossen

Erica Crossen

Erica Crossen

Lena Amburn, Opinion Editor

With the growing popularity of electronic cigarettes like JUULs, many teens are beginning to vape. In the past, traditional cigarettes were very popular among youth, but as electronic cigarettes began to come out, kids made the transition to vaping under the guise it was healthier.

Many kids start vaping due to the various videos of vape tricks seen all over social media. Putting your health at risk is not worth a few views on Instagram or praises from your pals.

Electronic cigarettes are not everything advertisers make them out to be. According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, electronic cigarettes are anything but healthy for you. Not only are they packed with chemicals that scientists do not truly understand yet, but they contain insanely high amounts of nicotine. Nicotine is a toxic, addictive substance that “raises your adrenaline and spikes your adrenaline.” This increases your heart rate and your likelihood of having a heart attack. Vaping can also weaken your immune system and damage your blood vessels.

Many people have transitioned to vapes in hopes that it would help them quit smoking traditional cigarettes. According to TheTruth.com, vaping actually makes you four times more likely to begin or continue smoking traditional cigarettes due to the high nicotine content. Surprisingly, one JUUL pod contains the same amount of nicotine as 20 cigarettes. To put it briefly, vaping is not going to help you stop smoking, but will make you want to continue instead!

Many people believe that vapes and electronic cigarettes are less addictive than traditional cigarettes, making them much more safer for not only adults but high school youth. This could not be farther from the truth. Electronic cigarettes and vapes are just as addictive, if not more, than traditional cigarettes. Not only is that extremely unhealthy for adults, let alone teenagers, but it is causing a new generation to get hooked on nicotine.

In conclusion, vapes and electronic cigarettes are not healthier than traditional cigarettes, nor are they less addictive. To put it simply, they are gateways to get younger generations hooked on cigarettes and nicotine.