NSDA Tournament Begins in Center Today

Kristen Orsak, Opinion Editor

The annual Yellow Rose National Speech and Debate Association Tournament (NSDA) is being held at the First Baptist Church and Center High School from February 14-16th.

“The NSDA tournament is one of the most difficult tournaments that we attend all year,” Debate Coach Douglas Moore said. “It consists of every type of debate we do throughout the year, and also the events that are more similar to theater and speaking.”

There will be 9 individuals participating in this tournament: Ellie Walker, Lesly Perez-Gonzalez, Keaton Watlington, Mark Perkins, Jack Callen Watlington, Kristen Orsak, Obed Lopez, and Jason McCollister.

“I personally love NSDA,” senior competitor Keaton Watlington said. “The district tournament is a direct line to NSDA nationals. Nationals is where the majority of my best debate memories come from, so I always look forward to this part of the year.”

The participants in this tournament come from a very large part of Texas. This district zone became so big that the board separated them. They went from having almost 350 competitors to now having about 150.

“Over the past few years we have had multiple people advance every year,” Moore said. “So my hopes are high that we will have students advance, but you never know what will happen.”

This tournament is different because it involves debaters that the team does not usually debate against.

“This tournament is always a lot of fun for me because I get to see my debate friends that I have made over the years,” junior competitor Mark Perkins said. “NSDA is different because it involves kids that we only debate at this one tournament and NSDA nationals. Personally, I love the competition.”