The Lariat

• January 10Varsity Boys Soccer win first district game against Jasper 3-0

• January 2Boys Varsity Basketball defeated by Huntington 32-49

• November 28Varsity Girls Basketball Loses to Chapel Hill 90-33

Center Vs Liberty

Back to Article
Back to Article

Center Vs Liberty

Junior Jayden Hicks driving towards the paint.

Leonardo Ariza, Reporter

The Center Roughriders played Liberty on their home court but were unable to pull out the win, losing 56-58.

The game started off by Liberty winning the tip-off. Immediately after the tip-off, Liberty scored a quick layup, taking the lead 0-2. Following the made basket, Jayden Hicks was fouled while shooting. Hicks was only able to convert one free throw 1-2. After a missed Liberty shot, Hicks shot a mid-range jumper making the score 3-2 with 5:30 remaining. The opposing team was fouled by Chris Jackson while shooting, giving them two free throws. They ended up making both of the free throws 3-4 with 4:00 left. Following the free throws, Zac Smith passed the ball to Hicks, allowing him to score an easy layup 5-4. Liberty responded back with their own basket, taking the lead once again 5-6 with 2:30 left. A turnover from JaKerrion Watson gave Liberty an effortless layup 5-8. On the other end of the court, Devon Robinson passed the ball to Hicks for an open mid-range jumper 7-8. Following the basket from Hicks, Liberty quickly inbounded the ball to get a layup 7-10 with one minute remaining in the first period. After a missed Roughrider shot, Liberty was fouled while shooting, giving them two free throws. Liberty only made one free throw, ending the first period 7-11.

Junior Jayden Hicks drives in the paint.

After a low scoring first period, Hicks began the second period with a mid-range jump shot 9-11. Following some missed free throws from Liberty, Hicks drove in the lane but was fouled while shooting. Hicks made both of the free throws, tieing the game 11-11. After a frustrating start, Liberty called their first timeout with 6:30 left. After the timeout, Liberty was fouled, but they ended up not converting any of the free throws. Following the missed free throws, Douglas Flournoy shot a mid-range jumper in the corner, giving the Roughriders the lead 13-11. After a missed Liberty shot, Robinson scored a layup but was fouled while shooting. Giving Robinson a chance for an and-1. Robinson ended up not making the free throw 15-11. After several missed shots from both teams, Hicks drove in and scored the layup, but was fouled. Hicks was unable to convert the free throw 17-11. While Liberty was still struggling to get their first basket of the second period, Roughriders were on roll. Hicks was fouled while shooting, giving him 2 free throws. Hicks did end up making the free throws, making the score 19-11 with 4:00 left. Two plays later, Hicks passed the ball to Robinson, giving him an open layup 21-11. A fastbreak occurred after great defense from the Roughriders, which allowed Smith to bounce pass it to JaKerrion Watson for an easy layup. Liberty finally ends their scoring drought by making a layup 23-13. After that basket Roughriders came back with one of their own 25-13 with 2:00 remaining. Following a defensive stop from the Roughriders, JaKerrion Watson passed the ball to Flournoy for a quick layup 27-13. Right after the basket,  Flournoy took a charging foul, forcing Liberty to turn the ball over with less than a minute left. Robinson quickly received the ball and drove in for a layup 29-13. With time winding down, Liberty made a last-second layup, ending the second period 29-15.

Junior Zac Smith shooting a free throw.

After struggling to get points, Liberty started the third period with a quick layup 29-17. Following a missed Roughrider shot, Liberty knocked down a wide-open jump shot 29-19 with 6:45 on the clock. After the made jump shot, Hicks passed the ball to Smith who was fouled while shooting. Smith only made one of the two free throws 30-19. Liberty quickly inbounded the ball but was fouled while shooting. Liberty converted both of the free throws 30-21 5:30 left. Right after the free throws, Hicks drove in scoring the layup but was fouled while shooting. This gave him the opportunity for an and-1. Unluckily Hicks was unable to convert the free throw 32-21. After a missed shot from Liberty, Robinson drove in scoring a layup 34-21. Immediately after Liberty came down the court to score a quick layup 34-23 with 3:45 left. Following a missed Roughrider shot, Liberty scored a layup but was fouled in the process shooting. Liberty was unable to convert the and-1 34-26. After the missed free throw, Hicks ran down the court and passed it to Robinson for an uncontested layup 36-26. Following the made layup, Liberty was fouled by Robinson, which gave them two free throws. Liberty was able to covert both of the free throws 36-28. Liberty grabbed the rebound from a missed Roughrider shot, allowing to score a layup on the other end 36-30. Roughriders struggling to score a basket called a timeout with two minutes remaining. Right after the timeout, Liberty scored another basket 36-32 with 1:30 remaining. Immediately after the made basket, Roughriders called another timeout. Following the timeout, Roughrider turned the ball, which gave Liberty possession the ball. Liberty ended being fouled by Flournoy. This gave Liberty two free throws, but they were only able to make one of the two 36-33. Liberty was fouled again giving them two free throws. They were able to convert both of the free throws ending the third period 36-35.

Junior JaKerrion Watson driving towards the basket.

Following a missed Liberty shot, Hicks drove in and scored a floater 45-44. Smith was fouled while shooting, giving him two free throws. Smith was able to make both of the free throws 47-44. Flournoy took a charging foul, forcing Liberty to turn the ball over with 3:30 left in the game. Following the foul, JaKerrion Watson drove in and scored a double-clutch layup 49-44. Liberty trying to stay in the game scored a layup but were fouled while shooting. They were able to convert the and-1 making the score 49-47. JaKerrion Watson received the ball and drove in, but was fouled. He was only able to make one of the two free throws 50-47. Right after the made basket, Liberty came back with one of their own making it a one-point game 50-49 with 2:00 left. Roughriders trying to maintain their lead call a timeout. After the timeout, JaKerrion Watson passed the ball to Jackson for an easy layup 52-49. Following the basket, Liberty shot a clutch 3 pointer to tie the game 52-52. After that Hicks shot a mid-range jumper to take the lead 54-52 with 1:15 left. Immediately after, Liberty scored a layup to tie the game 54-54. Following the tie scoring shot from Liberty, Roughriders decided to call a timeout with fifty seconds remaining. After the timeout, JaKerrion Watson passed the ball to Robinson for a wide-open layup 56-54. Liberty decided to call a timeout with thirty seconds on the clock. Following the timeout, Liberty attempted to inbound the ball, but it was tipped by Hicks. The ball ended up going out of bounds on Hicks, making it Liberty’s ball with eleven seconds left. After that, Liberty quickly inbounded the ball and scored a floater making it 56-56 with two seconds remaining. Roughriders called a timeout but received a technical foul for excessive timeouts. Therefore Liberty received two free throws and possession of the ball. Both free throws were made, making the score 56-58 with 2 seconds left. Following the free throws, Liberty inbounded the ball, but Roughriders decided not to intentionally foul which ended the game with Liberty winning 56-58.

About the Writer
Leonardo Ariza, Reporter

Leonardo Ariza has been in the Lariat Staff since 2018. He has been in the band for 4 years and plays the trombone (4th chair). In his spare time he likes...