CHS Theatre Opens for Film at Rio Tuesday

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Cast of The Mayflower Inn

The Cast of The Mayflower Inn

The Cast of The Mayflower Inn

The Cast of The Mayflower Inn

Kristen Orsak, Opinion Editor

The Theatre Department will open for the movie Ralph Breaks the Internet at The Rio with their show The Mayflower Inn on Tuesday, December 18th.

“Performing at the Rio has some historic significance,” theatre director Chris Watlington said. “Many people see the stage at the Rio, but few have seen it be used. This will be the second time that I have performed this specific show at the Rio.”

According to Cinema Treasures, “The Shelby Theater was opened on August 19, 1926. It was located on what was then known as West Side Square. In 1941 it was renamed Rio Theater.” The stage at this theater rarely gets used, so this will be a unique experience for the crowd as well as the students performing.

“This is going to be a lot of fun for the students because they will get a behind the scenes experience in parts of the theater that few know even exist,” Watlington said.

The Theatre Production class has been working on this show since late October, and the show allows each student to be different characters in the same show. The Mayflower Inn will be performed by Ellie Walker, Allissa Lee, Mark Perkins, Kristen Orsak, Kelsey Adair, Angel Pineda. Jada Gregg, Kennedy Bush, Nahomi Bautista, Katelyn Duvon, and Alex Spruiell.

“I am really excited about this performance,” cast member Ellie Walker said. “I think this is going to bring a good amount of recognition to the program, which is never a bad thing.”

This double feature benefits both the Rio and the theatre program because the Rio receives ticket and concession money, while the theatre program gets viewers from the community.

“You will pay the normal Tuesday night price to get into the movie, and get to see a movie and a short comedic play,” Watlington said. “It is two for the price of one!”