The Lariat

• November 28Varsity Girls Basketball beats Waskom 50-40

• November 28Boys Varsity Basketball beats Whitehouse 45-43

Debate Team to Attend Capital Conference Wednesday

Back to Article
Back to Article

From left to right: Experienced debaters Keaton Watlington, Kristen Orsak, Mark Perkins, Esther Mergerson, and Jack Callan Watlington

Douglas Moore

Douglas Moore

Douglas Moore

Kristen Orsak, Opinion Editor

The debate team will travel to Austin, Texas, November 28-29 to compete in the Capital Congress competition.

“I believe this will be a wonderful experience for both the novice debaters and the experienced debaters on the team,” Debate Coach Douglas Moore said.

The debate team traveling to Austin consists of experienced debaters; Mark Perkins, Esther Mergerson, Keaton Watlington, JackCallen Watlington, Kristen Orsak and novice debaters; Jason McCollister and Obed Lopez.

“The novice debaters will be in chambers where they learn a lot about how Congressional debate runs and get experience, while the experienced debaters are in chambers with a lot more competition,” Moore said.

This congress is called Capital Congress because the competition is held in the Texas State Capital. This makes this competition a very neat experience.

“Debaters that advance to the final rounds will be debating in the same room where legislators have held meetings and they will be sitting in those desks,” Moore said. “This overall will be a really cool experience for the debaters.”

This competition has been held for many years, but this will be the first time the debate team will be attending.

“There has never been a reason for us to attend Capital Congress before,” Moore said. “This competition is very expensive once the hotel stay, the entrance fee, and food costs add up.”

Without a reason to attend this competition, there was never a reason to pay that amount of money.

“We have never had a state qualifier in Congress before, but this year Mark Perkins received first place at regionals meaning he is a state qualifier,” Moore said. “Esther Mergerson received fourth place meaning she is first alternate for the state meet. With two state attendees, there was a strong reason to pay the cost.”

The level of competition will be high, and the participants will potentially debate against people they will be debating against at the state meet.

“This is a big deal for our program, and this will really be the last chance for them to get in Congress experience before the state meet,” Moore said. “I made the decision to attend Capital Congress this year for the sake of getting in practice, and I believe it will be a good experience for the debate team.”

About the Writer
Kristen Orsak, Opinion Editor

Kristen Orsak has been on the Lariat staff since 2017. She currently works as an Opinion Editor. In the 2017-18 school year she served as a reporter. She...