The Lariat

• November 28Varsity Girls Basketball beats Waskom 50-40

• November 28Boys Varsity Basketball beats Whitehouse 45-43

You Should READ!

Andrea Morales, Reporter

The number of Americans who read has fallen by more than 30 percent since 2004, according to the latest American Time Use Survey from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Reading truly does help in many ways, and people should do it more often.

Reading improves your literal brain! A study that was carried out by researchers from Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, showed that by staying mentally stimulated, you can prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Reading develops critical thinking skills, and improves memory and writing skills. For such a simple action, you get so much in return.

Reading also helps you get a well rested night of sleep. BBC News polled out of 2,750 11 to 18 year olds 45% use their phones before bed, but the light on the screen is actually harmful. Studies have shown that being exposed to the light given off by phones and other electronics at night prevents our brains from releasing melatonin, a hormone that tells our bodies it’s nighttime. Why ruin a good night of sleep over a screen? Grab a book instead; reading before you sleep can relax you significantly by lowering your heart rate and easing muscular tension.

Reading is a whole other universe, and it can only help you. If you want to better your life, reading is one way to do it.

About the Writer
Andrea Morales, Reporter

Andrea Morales has been in the Lariat newspaper staff since 2018, and is participating in UIL Journalism. She has been a member of JCC for three years...