The Lariat

• November 28Varsity Girls Basketball beats Waskom 50-40

• November 28Boys Varsity Basketball beats Whitehouse 45-43

Is Voting Even Worth It?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Voting Even Worth It?

Erik (HASH) Hersman, Flickr

Erik (HASH) Hersman, Flickr

Erik (HASH) Hersman, Flickr

Lena Amburn, Opinion Editor

Voting has been an important part of American history since our government got up and running. It is a system used to elect government officials to represent the population of certain areas and their needs, yet people still question if voting is worth their time.

Even if it seems useless, people should still vote in all of our elections. No matter how heavily some people believe that their vote does not matter, it does!

According to the Census Bureau, the voter turnout has slowly decreased throughout the years, and despite this fact, people wonder why nothing is being changed to suit their needs. The answer is quite simple. In order for there to be changes, there must be votes. Everyone has different governmental needs and hopes. Sitting at home or not finding the time to vote during Election Day definitely does not help them be met. Different candidates run every year with the purpose of meeting the population’s needs. The best way to get those people into office is to vote for them!

Our government is a democracy, which is a word that means “people force.” Our country is run by the people, and our vote, as citizens of the United States, determines who represents us as a whole. “[Voting] is to guard against ‘unworthy candidates’ and the ‘vicious arts’ of politics,” the “Father of the Constitution,” James Madison, said. Voting, along with the Electoral College, can help protect the country from candidates who are unworthy of office. For example, if Hitler ran for office, then the only thing that would be keeping him from office would be the public voting against him.

Despite some people believing that everyone should vote, others believe that it is useless. The question usually asked is: Why vote if your vote doesn’t matter? While your vote alone cannot make much of a difference in an election, it can change the outcome when en masse. When people come together and vote for what they believe in, powerful things can be done. To put it simply, your vote, along with everyone else’s, does matter.

As James Bovard once said, “Democracy must be more than two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.” In order for changes to be made, we must vote. Go vote!

About the Writer
Lena Amburn, Opinion Editor

Lena Amburn has been on the Lariat staff since 2018. She is currently an Opinion Editor. Lena is a member of the CHS band. She enjoys biking, hiking, watching...