The Lariat

• November 9Lady Rider Basketball dominates Pineywoods 63-33

• October 30Varsity Volleyball Loses to Mexia 0-3

• October 12The Riders fall to Jasper 25-54.

Put the Cow Out to Pasture, Choose Almonds Instead

Santeri Viinamäki, Wikipedia Commons

Lena Amburn, Opinion Editor

The debate if cow milk or almond milk is healthier for the body has been around for ages, and still is to this day. Many people have made the switch over from cow milk to almond milk, increasing the sales of almond milk to as much as 250% over the past five years.

Jumping on the bandwagon usually is not a good idea. However, I believe that hopping on the almond milk wagon would be.

Naturally, whenever people hear the word “milk,” they think of cow milk. It has been part of humans’ diets for decades, and only here recently people have began to make the transition from cow milk to almond milk for health benefits. Almond milk, according to Medical News Today, has 39 calories per cup, which is 63 calories less than cow’s milk. Additionally, it has almost 50% more vitamin E than cow milk. Almond milk is full of more natural nutritions including protein, calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium, bringing it up to the same level as cow milk, if not higher, without many of the health problems that tag along with cow milk.

The amount of calories in a cup of cow milk is relatively high compared to other beverages, coming in with 150 calories for whole milk, 120 calories for 2% milk, and 105 calories for 1% milk. For the sake of comparison, a cup of whole milk has more calories than a can of Coca Cola, a sweetened beverage full of sugar. Not only is your cow milk a high calorie drink, but it is also high in saturated fats. Saturated fats are definitely not healthy for your body and usually lead to high blood pressure and heart disease, which can lead to more health problems down the road.

Comparing cow milk and almond milk, both are close to the same with nutritional value. However, cow milk contains more vitamin D and protein than almond milk. This leaves the question: how are you supposed to get your daily amount of vitamin D and calcium if almond milk has less than cow milk? The answer is simple. You get vitamin D and calcium from not only cow milk, but from many other products that are probably already in your diet like cheeses, yogurts, collard greens, fish, eggs, and orange juice (specifically Florida Natural Orange Juice and Minute Maid), and not to mention, almond milk.

Needless to say, many people are making the switch from cow milk to almond milk to improve their health. While cow milk may be rich in protein and vitamin D, some of the things that almond milk has a small amount of, the health problems that follow along with cow milk just aren’t worth the risk.

About the Writer
Lena Amburn, Opinion Editor

Lena Amburn has been on the Lariat staff since 2018. She is currently an Opinion Editor. Lena is a member of the CHS band. She enjoys biking, hiking, watching...