Center High School Student Publications

Wikipedia Commons

Wikipedia Commons

Should the number of refugees allowed in the country be adjusted or capped?

The Opinion Clash is a tournament-style debate in which two Lariat staff members are asked to write about a current controversial topic within 200 words.

November 7, 2018

Before leaving office, President Obama raised the immigration ceiling to 110,000. According to the New York Times, “President Trump plans to cap the number of refugees that can be resettled in the United States next year at 30,000,” a drop of 15,000 following Trump’s decrease to 45,000 when he took office.

Raise the Cap to 50k

The refugee cap is currently at an all time low of 30,000. The Trump Administration says that this is in the best interest of the United States, but will this damage us in the future?

The current refugee cap should be raised to 50,000, so we can accept more refugees into the United States.

Refugees are often escaping from dangerous situations in their homeland. The United States is one of the safest places to be in current times. If we keep the refugee cap low, many lives could be lost in these bad conditions.

These refugees also hold important positions within our society. Albert Einstein, Bela Bartok, Joseph Brodsky, and people who are the brains and entertainers of our society were refugees. Keeping the refugee cap will prevent brilliant minds from reaching their full potential.

People who are against raising the refugee cap will say that these refugees are not essential, but this is not true. We would not have some of the things we have today without these minds. Why would we prohibit minds such as those from seeking safety?

We must raise the refugee cap to 50,000 in order to keep inspiration in our world.